Friday 31 October 2014

Colour Dash NZ

 Participating in a Colour Run has always been on my "Bucket List" and now I can say that I have done it - I walked but I did it! Well at least a version of one - the "Colour Dash NZ" 5km, two Sundays ago on the 19th of October (yes I'm a bit late writing this post). Maybe not a big deal to some people but for me it's huge! 

The Colour Dash is a 5km fun run/walk for people of all ages, shapes and sizes with participants been splashed with special colourful dust along the way! Every Colour Dash NZ in 2014 is raising both awareness and money for Ronald McDonald House.
 http://www.colourdash.co.nz/

http://www.pinterest.com/andreakroll056/bucket-list/

 My boss was entering a team and invited all us employees to join her. I was rather nervous about agreeing to join, as I didn't know if my legs would cope (I have problems with my calf muscles). But I grew some courage and along with some encouragement from my awesome workmate Ashleigh, I said YES let's do it! 

Ashleigh came around to my house first and then Grant drove us to our boss's house. We got changed into our white Colour Dash tshirts, then all 10 of us hopped into the centre van and headed out to Massey for the Colour Dash. After a quick toilet stop, we waited around near the start while they did all the pre-race activities, like presenting the $18,000 cheque to Ronald McDonald House!

At 2.17pm we were off, all 10 of us pretty much stuck together for that first km.
That first km was pretty easy and seemed rather short, unfortuantly my calves were already starting to hurt but at that 1km mark there was the yellow coloured dust been thrown & there was a wait to get through.
Once through we kept going and our group split into two, one faster group that speed up ahead and the slower more causal walkers (like me).


By the 2km my calves were killing me, but I had to keep going, I wasn't giving up! I did think to myself that I really must go back to the podiatrist and get something done about my calves. It was great having 4 others to walk with, it kept me going, kept my mind off the pain and made it fun! It was awesome having a different coloured dust at each km mark, as you knew how far you had been and how far you still had to go. It was a little disappointing at the last two colours though, as the 4km coloured dust was running very low and the 5km dust had completely run out! We were near the back but there was a good bunch of people still behind us.

 We finished and completed the whole 5km walk just a few minutes before 3.15pm when there was a huge colour dump - where everyone stood together and buckets of colour were thrown into the air. I was pretty pleased to realise that we had completed the 5km in less than an hour!

So proud of myself, completing the 5km, and it was so much fun! I totally recommend it to anyone and can't wait to do it again next year!! 

1 comment: